How To Prep For A French ManicureMay 25, 2017
Why Get Your Eyebrows WaxedJuly 25, 2017
When you come in for a spray tan, there are a number of things you need to know before and after the treatment takes place. It’s important, so you can get the best tan possible and look your best, with the best results.
Preparing for a Spray Tan
- Exfoliate skin at least 8 hours before your sunless session to smooth skin for even tanning results. Spend a little extra time on knees, elbows, feet, and hands.
- Shave at least 6 hours before your sunless tanning session. We always suggest shaving with soap and water only — no shaving cream, as shaving creams contain lanolin (an oil) that acts as a barrier between the tanning solution and the skin.
- Any waxing should be done 1-2 days prior to your sunless tanning.
- If skin is dry apply a light water based lotion lightly and evenly to skin at least 2 hours prior to your sunless tan.
- Do not apply oils at any time prior to or after your sunless tan.
- Remove make-up prior to your sunless tanning application for best results.
- After your sunless tan wear dark loose fitting clothing.
- Do not wear wool, nylon, or silk during or after your sunless application and for at least 8 hours as DHA may react with these fabrics and cause staining.
After Your Spray Tan
- Wait at least 8 to 12 hours after application before you shower. This will allow time for the self-tanning reaction to occur on the skin.
- Don’t worry if you see color wash off from your first shower, this is normal. What you see washing off is the immediate cosmetic bronzer and what is left behind is a beautiful sunless tan.
- Do not apply moisturizer until after your first shower, for this could affect the immediate reaction of the sunless solution on the skin and cause streaking.
- Do not exercise until after your first shower.
- Moisturize daily, especially after bathing, to maintain your sunless tan. For best results use a water based moisturizer. Don’t use oil based moisturizers, they can cause blotchy areas.
- Do not exfoliate skin for at least 48 hours after your sunless tanning application. When you do exfoliate, do so gently and evenly to preserve an even sunless tan.
- If sun-bathing remember to wear a sunscreen. Sunless products do not contain sunscreen. Although you look like you have a tan, you will still need a sunscreen to prevent your skin from burning.
How to Maintain Your Spray Tan
- Spray tans can last from 4 – 10 days if cared for correctly. To maintain your tan, make sure that you moisturize and use CORRECT products. Using the wrong products can cause your tan to fade quicker than normal.
- The following is a list of body care products that could potentially have a fading or blotchy effect on your spray tan. This is only a guide and not every client will have an issue with these items or products:
- AHA products
- Anti-acne products that exfoliate or dry the skin
- Anti-aging products that exfoliate skin
- Bar soaps
- BHA products
- Retin-A products
- Body Hair Bleach Products
- Toners containing Alcohols or Witch Hazel can lighten tan
- Facial masks & exfoliating scrubs
- Body spray, perfumes, and bug spray when they are sprayed directly on skin. We recommend that you
- spray your clothing or spray into the air then walk through.
- Hair inhibiting Lotions can cause your tan to yellow
- Exercising often or large amount of sweating can cause your tan to fade faster, especially in body fold areas.
- Makeup remover cleaning products or oils
- Submersion in hot tub or swimming pool and sometimes even habitual long hot baths.
- Using a loofah, mitt, scrub etc. for daily washing
- Waxing unwanted hair or depilatory hair removal products